Everyone Shines - A permanent home for STAR Institute
In late 2018, STAR Institute kicked off a $5,000,000 campaign with an initial $100,000 in matching gifts. These “first funds in” launched our campaign to acquire, renovate and unveil its new space in its current location in 2021.
Read our Capital Campaign Fact Sheet
More than three decades ago, Dr. Lucy Jane Miller began to research processes to diagnose and treat children with sensory processing disorder - many of whom were misdiagnosed and receiving inappropriate interventions. This work also shed light on how disordered sensory processing can manifest as part of other clinical conditions.
As a result, thousands of children, cared for by highly trained therapists in collaboration with parents, have a better quality of life and are fully integrated into their schools, community and workplaces across the globe.
Making do with an existing space that has limitations, compromising gold standard of treatment, a setting that minimizes efficient and cost effective operations. Limited control of sensory design of space due to rental agreement.
The newly renovated 17,000+ feet will launch a new era of:
- Person-based Treatment that has flow from room to room, easy transitions, and cutting-edge design to serve and build a sensory inclusive community.
- Education that can reach beyond the walls to create a sensory village where families, therapists and others feel included and empowered.
- Ability to conduct Research in live treatment spaces and the natural environment utilizing upgrades in facilities, equipment and space associated.
- Efficient building space creates cost savings that allows for greater capacity to train the next generation of therapists, expand research and reach more families.
- Cutting edge technology that allows families and professionals around the world to virtually be 'in the room' for training, education and coaching.
- Sensory inclusive design that provides a safe space for vulnerable nervous systems and at-risk families to heal and rebuild.
- Space that enables greater specificity and diversification of intervention methods . More families, more populations, more services.
Read our Fact Sheet
The Time is Now
Lucy Jane Miller, Director Emeritus
"We have been handed an incredible legacy by Dr. Lucy Jane Miller. We need our building to belong to us, a permanent home that we can fully refurbish into a state-of-the-art facility that is sensory inclusive on multiple levels. A pioneering center for education, research and treatment."
Virginia Spielmann, Executive Director
You Can Help
Today, we ask you to consider how you might help. From one-time gifts, to multi-year pledges, we turn to the community that benefits from STAR Institute to play a key role in its future. There will be opportunities to make gifts in somebody’s honor, a chance to name rooms and spaces, and a celebration at the grand opening where you would be included as part of the legacy. Click here or fill out a Pledge Form or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org