STAR Institute, Laura A. Mathews Esq, and Emily Patton, Founder of disABILITY Works are proud to offer the Family Safeguard Planning Workshop: a series of working sessions with a lawyer and financial advisor to help you learn and understand what your entire family needs to have in place if someone becomes incapacitated, disabled or dies. Special emphasis is spent in the workshop helping those with family members living with Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism, or other disabilities to learn what parts of planning need to be made a priority and what can wait. As an extra bonus, the workshop will help families create a "suddenly in charge" handbook which tells anyone who steps in to help in a crisis what your child needs in a snapshot which might include medications, therapists, schedules, emergency contacts, and important tips on how to keep your child happy and safe. Attending this workshop is an important step in your emergency preparedness for your family especially if you have with loved ones living with children living with Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism or other disabilities.
The full 2-day workshop includes:
- Legal Documents Needed: Allows someone to handle medical and financial affairs or make decisions for minor/disabled children
- Special Needs Trusts/ABLE Act
- Financial Planning & Protection: Needed to ensure access to public benefits, emergency monies and safeguarding assets to cover the families lifetimes of needs
- Legal & Financial Coordination: Important to ensure legal documents are protected and you use the assets and income you have correctly.
- Public Benefit Planning: Looking at how to access and use Medicaid and social security resources wisely
- IEPs & 504s: An important process of planning and learn what to focus on and how to advocate for your child
- Transition Planning: Creating a plan for your child after high school and not giving up resources that are available without knowing about it
- Caregiver guidebook completion: Gives you an immediate sense of accomplishment you will have important details listed for the emergency care of your child if you are not able to care for them
One on One Consultations for the following:
After attendance at the full two day workshop you will receive:
- 2 hours legal review consultation – including course of action for your situation coordinated with financial planning recommendations
- 4 hours of personal financial consultation – with outline of preliminary recommendations
Laura A. Mathews, Esq., Attorney-Estate & Disability Planning-Elder Law
I have been practicing for over 15 years in the areas of estate planning, complex trusts, elder law related matters, disability and special needs law, public benefit law, decedent’s estates, guardianships, conservatorships, and non-contested probate. Compassion, Service, Empathy, Guidance, and Kindness define the value driven path for my practice and my clients. With the belief that you never know what happens next, I help clients hope for the best and plan for the worst with a focus on flexibility.
My specialty is helping clients create a “Life Plan,” intentionally interweaving family values with a legal structure that blends both financial and relationship components surrounding the human life experiences. I work closely with my clients to help them create a legacy statement, or “love message,” so family members and friends are guided and comforted when their loved ones are gone.
Emily Patton, Chartered Special Needs Consultant
I have spent the last 10 years passionately helping families create solid financial futures, overcoming fear and building foundations of certainty for those dealing with disabilities. I individually guide each family in securing greater futures for the individuals they love with special needs and life care considerations. With a heartfelt approach, consideration is given to each individual in your family, their personal needs, goals and dreams. I believe in you focusing on the entire family, both as a unit and as individuals, in your personal plan to ensure that all parties have the best opportunity to see dreams come true and live a fulfilling future.
My greatest passion is seeing your family live the most desirable future with the peace of mind that you have taken every step to create security around life’s unique challenges and stages. I believe intentional decision making, backed by knowledge, builds a solid foundation from which your family can grow, thrive and live with financial confidence.
Day One - February 7, 2019
9:00 AM-9:45 AM Legal Discussion
9:45 AM-10:00 AM Legal Q&A/Break
10:00 AM-10:45 AM Financial Coordination
10:45 AM-11:00 AM Financial Q&A/Break
11:00 AM-11:45 AM Public Benefits
11:45 AM-12:00 PM Public Benefits Q&A
Day Two - February 8, 2019
9:00 AM-9:45 AM IEPs & 504s
9:45 AM-10:00 AM Break
10:00 AM-10:45 AM Transitions Planning Overview
10:45 AM-11:00 AM Workshop Q&A
11:00 AM-12:00 PM Caregiver Guidebook
Full 2-Day Workshop: $850 per person (or per 2-person family)
1 Day Only: $595 per person (or per 2-person family)
***CES Waiver Participants may be able to be reimbursed for workshop cost. Please talk to your Community Center Board to determine if you have Education Fund Resources still available through the CES Waiver. Please contact Laura Mathews at Laura Mathews firstname.lastname@example.org or (303) 726-3079 for more information on how to seek reimbursement from the CES Waiver if you have available funds.*****
With every disAbility Works LLC family workshop, the following items are offered at no additional charge for your additional family needs.
Included as a part of your full 2 day workshop: 6 Hours of Professional services (not available to single day participants):
- Up to 2 hours, one on one, legal review of your current documents and situation with a lawyer currently practicing in disability planning.
- In your legal review, completion of a parental delegation for your child with disabilities.
- Up to 2, one on one, 2 hour sessions with a chartered special needs consultant financial advisor to provide you with a full review of your personal situation and a game plan of steps you can take to coordinate your legal and financial documents and secure the future for your family.
- Courtesy Insurance review
- Courtesy Wealth Management Oversight review
**To make the most efficient use of your personal time and in order for the advisor and/or the attorney to be fully prepared for your one on one meetings, completion of the above items will require information be given to the attorney and/or advisor at least 2 weeks prior to your scheduled meeting.
**Personal one on one meetings must be scheduled during the workshop. As a professional courtesy to everyone, workshop one on one meetings are not necessarily available for reschedule.
Services at an additional fee:
- Custom Estimate of the costs for your unique disability situation from today through end of life care
- Comprehensive Financial Planning* (discounted by the entire cost of your workshop)
- Cash Flow Strategy Planning
- Preparation of full legal documents or missing items in your legal plan coordinated with a financial advisor
- Medicaid and SSI application professional services
- Single day participants only: One on One, up to 3 hour, Legal or Financial consultation, $400.00 fee
2 Day Workshop cost is $850 and is valued up to $11,500 (if you were to use independent services as listed below)
Average Price range for independent services:
Legal Review: $600-$1,500
IEP Services: $600-$1,000
Public Benefit Planning: $1,000-$3,000
Transition Plan: $500
The above price ranges include advice only and no action taken on behalf of the advisor
Comprehensive Financial Plan: $2,500-$5,000
Letter of Intent/Caregiver Guidebook: $500
Total Potential out of pocket range with independently contracted services: $5,700-$11,500
All cost reflected here are average ranges and prices for all services can vary widely depending on your personal professional and
their independent fee schedules.