Sign up for the Hybrid Special Livestream Bundle
Online Content + 4-Day Zoom: $839
July 14-17, 2020
Daily | 6:00 PM-10:00 PM MDT
via Zoom Video Conferencing
Sessions are available to review for 1 week after the course completion
Sign Up for the Hybrid
Online + In-Person Bundle: $989*
Upcoming In-Person Course Dates:
August 7-8, 2020
Get Started with the Online Content Portion ONLY ($519*):
About the Hybrid Level 1 Mentorship Course
(Online + 2-Day In-Person Course):
This "hybrid" intensive training course supports the clinician to gain an advanced understanding of sensory processing and integration theory, the STAR Frame of Reference, evaluation, and various strategies of intervention. The clinician will learn to apply clinical reasoning through lectures, video treatment observation and analysis with experienced STAR Institute Faculty.
Online + In-Person Full Program Bundle
23 hours/2.3 AOTA CEUs
Our foundational Level 1 Mentorship information is now available online through SPD University! Participants then attend the 2-day In-Person Course within 2 years to receive a Certificate of Completion and full CEUs.
Participants must complete online material before live course, as online material is foundational to more advanced live content. Participants may not attend a 2-Day In-Person course without verifying completion of the online content and will not receive a Certificate of Completion with full AOTA CEUs.
Online Course Content:
11 hours of recorded course content will be made available online through SPD University and is a required prerequisite for attending the 2-Day In-Person portion of the program. This includes:
- Background information on sensory processing from Dr. Lucy Jane Miller
Frame of Reference:
- Even when the primary focus of intervention is sensory, the STAR Frame of Reference advocates for a continuous assessment of regulation, and relationships, in the context of mutable environments, social-emotional development, and attention
Subtypes of SPD:
- A complete introduction and overview of each of the Subtypes of SPD
- Sensory Modulation Disorder
- Sensory Discrimination Disorder
- Overview of standardized assessments: Understanding standards scoring systems and "growth scales" based on Rasch measurement
- Use of Goal Attainment Scaling and other standardized outcome measures that participants can use in their settings to evaluate treatment effectiveness
- An overview of SPD research from STAR Institute and the SPD Scientific Work Group
In-Person Course Content:
- Advanced clinical reasoning in comprehensive assessment emphasizing both top-down and bottom-up approaches
- Advanced clinical reasoning applied to clinical observations (using video analysis and case study)
- Differential diagnosis of sensory subtypes (using video analysis and case study)
- Development of Impact Statements reflecting functional impacts of SPD
- Introduction and application of STAR Institute's PROCESS treatment model
- Development of Goal Attainment Scale using family-centric goals
- Introduction to Family-Centered Interview process techniques for goal development
- Clinical reasoning applied to treatment planning and development of clinical questions
- Introduction, application and development of A SECRET tool for clinical use (using case-study)
Additional Program Learning Options:
- Online Content Portion ONLY: $519*
11 hours/1.1 AOTA CEUs
Click here to register for the online content alone through SPD University.
- In-Person Course Portion ONLY: $749*
12 hours/1.2 AOTA CEUs
Registration for the 2-Day In-Person course alone requires previous completion of the online content within the past 2 years. Those with incomplete online coursework will not be permitted to attend the in-person portion of the program and will not receive a Certificate of Completion with full AOTA CEUs.
*Pricing listed is in USD, for domestic courses only. Please visit event registration pages for pricing on international courses.
Register for both the Online and In-Person Full Program Bundle for the best value!
Who Should Attend
This mentored program is designed for occupational therapists at all levels to enhance diagnostic and clinical reasoning skills. Participants should currently work with children with Sensory Processing Disorder. At least two years pediatric experience is preferred.
The objective of STAR Institute's Level 1 Intensive Mentorship program is to provide participants with a basic understanding of the latest research in SPD and the ability to:
- Differentiate subtypes of SPD
- Utilize clinical reasoning tools for intervention and home adaptation developed by Dr. Lucy Jane Miller and Dr. Sarah A. Schoen
- Recognize and develop realistic and functional goals using Goal Attainment Scaling
- Recognize the importance of engaging families in the treatment process
- Become familiar with appropriate tools to evaluate children with SPD
- Observe client session videos, analyze through clinical reasoning, and discuss treatment planning
- Become familiar with the STAR PROCESS Model for treatment.
- Address family needs and desires
- Synthesize information in an OT assessment, write treatment notes using STAR Institute’s clinical reasoning approach, communicate effectively with physicians and other members of a client’s team
Credentialing and Continuing Education
STAR Institute for SPD is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Approximately 23 Professional Contact Hours (2.3 AOTA CEUs) are awarded for full completion of this program. Participants receive credential certificates documenting completion of the specialized training in SPD.
All participants receive an Advanced Mentored Clinician Level 1 credential upon completion. Individuals interested in achieving the SPD ProCert 1 credential are required to take Temple University's SPD Proficiency Level I course within 3 years of completing the Level 1 Mentorship program.