Our foundational School-based information is now available online through SPD University. Participants may then also opt to attend a 2-day In-Person Course within 1 year to receive a Certificate of Completion and full CEUs.
Online Course Content:
5 hours of recorded course content will be made available online through SPD University. Completion of this content is a required prerequisite for attending the 2-Day In-Person portion of the program. Online Course Content Includes:
- Introduction: Background information on sensory processing from Dr. Lucy Jane Miller
- Frame of Reference: Even when the primary focus of intervention is sensory, the STAR Frame of Reference advocates for a continuous assessment of regulation, and relationships, in the context of mutable environments, social-emotional development, and attention.
- PROCESS for schools: Introduction to the STAR Treatment Model: The integration of basic principles of sensory integration intervention based on Ayres' original theory and advanced treatment using our clinical reasoning methodology.
- Research: An overview of SPD research from STAR Institute and the SPD Scientific Work Group as well as applicable research to school setting.
- Sensory Processing and Integration: Discuss the necessity of integrated sensory systems to development as well as create an understanding of SPD and the SPD subtypes.
- Regulation: Foundational to development, regulation will be defined and explored.
- Relationship: What therapist will do to facilitate, cultivate, strengthen strong, healthy therapist/child, child/teacher, therapist/teacher relationships to support desired outcomes.
Online Content Portion ONLY ($200)
STAR Institute for SPD is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
5 Professional Contact Hours (.5 AOTA CEUs) are awarded for completion of the School-based Intensive online content portion. Participants seeking to receive a Certificate of Completion and credential certificate documenting completion of this specialized training in SPD must attend an 2-Day In Person course within 1 year of online content completion.